<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, March 15, 2005


People Who Help Us 

I've been reading The Blackboard Jungle for a while. It's a hilarious look at life in the inner-city classroom, and a life I have every sympathy with.

A lot of teaching is acting. Like parenting. In my case, I acted most of the time, because usually, I found the Little Angels quite amusing. As does this lady.

This story had me giggling into my coffee. Here's quote:

Teachers shouldn't be allowed to send our souls to the fires. It's just not right!

Respect!

Another good "Work" blog is "The Policeman's Blog". The comparisons between U.K and U.S law enforcement are interesting, and informative. But it's the ruthless insight into the British Underclass that I find most entertaining. Here's an exerpt from September regarding economic migrants:

Regular readers will know that I have a soft spot for most of them, and it’s really rewarding to see them over they years acquire English working class customs: big plasma TV, cable, a love of chips and bastard offspring. Just as quickly they learn the patois of the slum, words like “assault”, “my rights” and “I’ve just sent off my provisional driving licence to the DVLA, so I haven’t got one at the moment.”… Eh?

Yes, I’ve been stopping Iraqi males and asking them to produce their documents. In the UK if a police officer wants to see your driving documents you MUST be able to produce them immediately. However, the officer will probably give you a slip of paper (called a “producer”) that you have to present at a police station of your choice within seven days, along with your documents (driving licence, insurance and certificate of road-worthiness for the vehicle), failure to do this is an offence. If you cannot be sure of the identity of the person you have stopped (and they have committed an offence of some kind, like not having their documents with them) you can arrest them under s25 of PACE.

So, what happens with Iraqis? It usually goes something like this:
“What’s your name?”
“Ali Kameer”
“Is this your vehicle?”
“Yes”
“Do you have a driving licence ?”
“I’ve just sent off my provisional driving licence to the DVLA, so I haven’t got one at the moment.”
“Do you have any insurance?”
“I no understand.”
“Can you remember ever having passed a driving test?”
“No understand.”
“Your English appears to have deserted you sir, have one of these.” So I give them a producer, (because they always have their Home Office identity cards with them I cannot arrest them) safe in the knowledge that that I’ll never see them again.


Great stuff.


Permalink | Pre Haloscan 3 | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?