<$BlogRSDURL$>


Wednesday, January 12, 2005


Sweet Apple Pork Casserole - Carnival Entry 

It's VW's turn to be the hostess this week, and since Tara is back at school, I have the time to post an entry!

I made this the day Boudicca was due to call me. And it was Christmas Eve, so my mind was all over the place. I decided I'd prep the vegetables ahead of time, but forgot to keep the potatoes in water, so when she called I was like:

"Oh, Hi! Gah! Help! My potatoes are grey!"

I haven't given any proportion guides. The great thing about casseroles is that they're easy to adapt to your personal tastes. If you like a lot of garlic, add more. If you hate mushrooms, or sweet potatoes, (as Alex does), leave them out. But if you don't like your meat on the sweet side, I wouldn't make this!

Anyway. Here's the recipe:

Marinade boned, skinless pork chunks overnight in cider, honey and mustard dressing, with a chopped, peeled cooking apple.

Brown the meat in a flameproof casserole dish using a little oil and flour. Add a clove of garlic, three chopped shallots, a half chopped red onion and a handful of diced mushrooms. Fry until the ingredients start to sweat.

Add chopped carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, celery, leek and red eating apples. (Don't peel them. They give a nice colour and texture.) Drizzle a tablespoon of maple syrup over them.

Crumble a stock cube over the top. Use another stock cube to make the liquid and add as much cider as you can deal with. Sweet cider works best.

Layer thin potato slices just below the surface of the liquid.

Sprinkle with dried rosemary, salt and pepper.

Cover and cook on a low heat, until you have polished off the rest of the cider, and the potatoes and pork are tender.

Serve with warm, buttered crusty bread.




Permalink | Pre Haloscan 2 | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?