<$BlogRSDURL$>


Wednesday, October 06, 2004


The Soundtrack to my Life 

That One Guy did it, and then Alex did. Here's my effort:

1. Comfortably Numb, by Pink Floyd.

This was the song I had my teen - angt to. I probably wrote terrible poetry about how nobody understood me whilst listening to it. I still like it now, especially the guitar solo, which is one of the few things I was determined to teach myself to play.

2. Something, by The Beatles

The chord changes in this are so clever and unusual, I can't listen to this without wanting to go play it immediately.

3. Hey Joe, by Hendrix

I got the Purple Haze C.D one Christmas. along with a guitar! How disheartening it was...

4. Orange Crush, by R.E.M

A teenage party staple. Whenever I hear it, I remember being seventeen again. I'd listen to this on the way to wherever I was going, and get charged up for whatever stupid thing I'd invariably end up doing. These days I play it to psych myself up to doing something I don't want to do. The helicopter effect is fantastic. It makes me wish I was a soldier.

5. Birdhouse in Your Soul, by They Might Be Giants

This never fails to cheer me up. It's one of the happiest songs I know.

6. Pure Shores, by All Saints

For some reason, whenever we're going somewhere nice in the car, this comes on the radio. Also, I listened to it a lot when I was pregnant. Theres something about the effects, and the film clip in the video depicting people underwater that's suggestive of the way it felt when the baby moved. God, I'd forgotten that! I miss that feeling. (Men, ignore this one)

7. Let Me Entertain You, by Robbie Williams

I know it's stolen a lot from "Sympathy For the Devil, but when I hear this, I do whatever I'm doing in triple time.

8. Don't Get Me Wrong, by The Pretenders.

It's not his, but it's my special "Makes me think of Alex", song.

9. Edie, by The Cult

According to my friends, I saw The Cult at Wembley Arena in the late eighties. I'm sure they were very good. I only remember getting into a fight in the Ladies Room. It was a classic movie moment where you go "Oh YEAH...?", and you turn around to realise your opponent is two feet taller and a hundred pounds heavier than you.

10. Layla, by Eric Clapton

The slow bit. The bit they play in "Goodfellas", when all the bodies are being found. Eric was on the bill when I went to see The Who at Hyde Park. We were all freezing, but I wouldn't leave till I'd heard that. It makes me giggle every time I think of George Harrison challenging Mr Clapton to a guitar duel. The arrogance!

11. Perfect Circle, by R.E.M

I don't know if it was ever released as a single, but this, in my opinion is a great example of a ballad that's poignant, without being dirge - like. (Yes, Mr Stipe. Your new stuff *is* terrible)

12. I Had a Dream, by Pink Floyd

O.K, I'm pretty sure that's not what it's called. But it's on The Final Cut. I like pretty melodies with sad lyrics. This one makes me glad I'm not a soldier.

13. Brimful of Asha, by Cornershop

The Norman Cooke remix, or course. I played this every day for about a year because it's so bouncy and cheery. When I coached basketball, I'd stick this on. If I was shooting a movie about basketball, I'd have this in it.

14. Love Me Two Times, by The Doors

Great keyboards. The last time I was made to endure a holiday with my parents, I consoled myself with my self-made Doors compilation tapes. And alcohol. Whenever I hear this, I recall the taste of vodka and lime in Cornwall. It was a time of my life when I dressed like Jamie Gertz in "The Lost Boys". I've still got some of those things somewhere.

15. Something About You, by Level 42

The Soundtrack to my Future. Alex and I fell in love to this. This is not a song I listen to when things need doing. I get too teary.




Permalink | Pre Haloscan 3 | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?